©BBC News, Tarang Mohnot
- Have you experienced an earthquake this year?
- Do you have ancient buildings in your country?
- experience /ik-SPEER-ee-uhns/
- damage /DAM-ij/
- generation /jen-uh-REY-shuhn/
- common /KOM-uhn/
- attempt /uh-TEMPT/
[verb] – if you experience something, it happens to you, or you feel it
I experienced a lot of difficulty during the exam.
[verb] – to harm or spoil something
Many buildings were badly damaged during the storm.
[noun] – all the people of about the same age within a society or within a particular family
It’s our duty to protect the planet for future generations.
[adjective] – the same in a lot of places or for a lot of people
It’s common to see that kind of style nowadays.
[noun] – the act of trying to do something, especially something difficult
This is my second attempt at climbing the mountain.
In 1905, an earthquake shook the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh, which is situated in the western Himalayas. Even what seemed to be strong concrete buildings fell like houses of cards. Only buildings made in the Himalayas employing the traditional, centuries-old method known as kath kuni were found. That calamity did not affect Naggar Castle, which had been built more than 500 years before to serve as the home of the region’s strong Kullu lords. The lack of seismic damage at the castle and other kath kuni castles within the earthquake’s radius shocked leaders from the Geological Survey of India.
The construction method has been passed from generation to generation. However, as concrete houses with flat roofs are built in many regions, the practice is becoming less common. Many people are making serious attempts to hide their identities by covering their concrete dwellings in stone tiles and wood-finish wallpaper as kath kuni’s raw materials have grown difficult to find and expensive.
True or False:
- Many Himalayan villages have experienced large earthquakes in the past.
- An earthquake shook the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh in 1950.
- Naggar Castle was built more than 500 years ago.
- Himalayan villages use a centuries-old method known as kath kuni.
- Kath kuni disappeared a long time ago.
Fill in the blanks:
- He made several ______ to control the aircraft.
- Cruz is a ______ name in the Philippines.
- It was the most difficult trip that I’d ever ______.
- People of my ______ all think the same way about this.
- The place was badly ______ in the fire.