- What is your favorite season?
- What do you like doing during the autumn season?
- amaze /uh-MEYZ/
- farther /FAHR-ther/
- weather /WETH-er/
- area /AIR-ee-uh/
- protect /pruh-TEKT/
[verb] – to cause someone to be extremely surprised
It amazes me how you finished your homework in an hour!
[adverb] – to a greater distance
I can’t walk farther. I’m already tired.
[noun] – the conditions in the air above the earth such as wind, rain, or temperature, especially at a particular time over a particular area
We’re hoping for good weather on Sunday.
[noun] – a particular part of a place, piece of land, or country
The park has set aside this area specifically for kids.
[verb] – to keep someone or something safe from injury, damage, or loss
Recycling is important for protecting our environment.
This tradition is called momijigari or “autumn-leaf hunting.” Simply watching and appreciating nature’s beauty is part of this search. Japan is said to have 1,200 different species of trees. Each of the four seasons affects how they look. As you move farther north in Japan, you’ll come across more popular places to see the fall trees. In colder weather, the leaves also get more colorful. The color of a leaf is commonly at its brightest when it is exposed to the sun, changing later in the leaf’s darker area. Japan’s autumn trees are at their most beautiful from early November to early December.
Momijigari, or the actual search for fall leaves, is a Japanese tradition that places high importance on protecting the environment. This autumn, why not go leaf-hunting by yourself?
True or False:
- Japan’s spring season is known for its beautiful colors.
- Momijigari is called “autumn-leaf hunting.”
- There are about 1,200 different species of trees in Japan.
- The leaves also get more colorful in warmer weather.
- Momijigari is a Japanese tradition that focuses on the importance of protecting the environment.
Fill in the blanks
- The _______ got very bad today. Let’s cancel our meeting.
- Coats _______ us against the cold.
- How much _______ do we need to reach the airport?
- I’m _______ at how well she speaks English very well.
- Dogs are not allowed in this _______.