- What healthy routines do you follow (washing your hands before eating, sleeping early, etc.)?
- What do you think is the best way to exercise?
- satisfying /SAT-is-fahy/
- declare /dih-KLAIR/
- kindergarten /KIN-der-gahr-dn/
- lighthearted /LAHYT-HAHR-tid/
- absence /AB-suhns/
[adjective] – giving pleasure, esp. by taking care of a need or desire
It’s a very satisfying job.
[verb] – to announce something clearly, firmly, publicly, or officially
A state of emergency was declared by the mayor.
[noun] – a class for young children, usually children four and five years old, which is often the first year of formal education
Mimi will begin kindergarten next month.
[adjective] – amusing and not serious
They participated in lighthearted games like tag and hide and seek.
[noun] – the fact of not existing
There was an absence of concrete evidence against the suspect.
What inspired Health-Sports Day was the Tokyo Olympics. It held a grand opening ceremony on October 10, 1964. Two years after this incident, Sports Day was declared a national holiday. Starting in 2000, Sports Day was moved to the second Monday in October in accordance with the Happy Monday System. Japanese kindergartens, schools, corporations, and local associations all around the country hold events like track meetings on National Health and Sports Day, There are other, more lighthearted competitions besides relays and races, such as scavenger hunts, tug of war, and toss-ball. Other sporting events, such as competitions for physical fitness and marathons, are open to participation by the entire family. Every town also hosts a sporting event. These include marathons, bowling, and Frisbee-playing activities for both adults and children. In some areas, adults can also have health evaluations to help them recognize their own inactivity.
As the World Health Organization (WHO) says, “Health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” Make sure to maintain good health every day of the year, not just today!
- What inspired Health Sports Day in Japan?
- Why was Sports Day moved to the second Monday in October?
- Who holds events like track meetings on National Health and Sports Day?
- What activities are open to families on National Health and Sports Day?
- How does the WHO describe health?
- How frequently do you have medical check-ups? Please tell me more about your appointments.
- How invested are you in the topic of health? Do you buy health-related magazines? Please share in class.
- If you have a foreign friend, would you recommend him/her to participate in Sports Day activities? Why or why not?
- Do you agree that most healthy foods do not taste good?
- Which is more important for you to take care of, your mental or physical health? Why?