- vaccination /vak-suh-NEY-shuhn/
- disclose /dih-SKLOHZ/
- incentive /in-SEN-tiv/
- initiative /ih-NISH-uh-tiv/
- restriction /ri-STRIK-shuhn/
[noun] – the process or an act of giving someone a vaccine (= a substance put into a person’s body to prevent them getting a disease)
Smallpox can be contained by vaccination.
[verb] – to make something known publicly, or to show something that was hidden
She refused to disclose any details about the plan.
[noun] – something, especially money, that encourages a person or organization to do something
The company operates a share incentive scheme for its workers.
[noun] – a new plan or process to achieve something or solve a problem
The government has launched a new policy initiative.
[noun] – an official limit on something
The park is open to the public without restriction.
Since June, visitors have been permitted, but they have had to take tours. Additionally, Mr. Kishida disclosed a domestic incentive program for travel that offers reductions on airfare, theme park admission costs, sporting events, and concerts. A $77 grant will be available to Japanese citizens and residents. Similar initiatives have been put in place in other nations to promote spending and boost the economy. But as everywhere else, the rising cost of living has been a major worry for people. One of the final Asian superpowers to keep its borders closed over COVID health concerns was the third-largest economy in the world. Lockdowns and mask use were never required in Japan, but many citizens easily adopted these safety measures. The year before the outbreak, 2019, saw approximately 32 million international visitors arrive in Japan. According to reports, many foreign visitors were prevented from coming in recent months due to travel restrictions.
- Do you see many tourists in your city these days? Could you tell me about them?
- Do you still wear a mask whenever you go out? Why or why not?
- If you were a citizen from another country, which place in Japan would you like to visit? Why?
- Do you agree with the decision to open your country’s borders?
- What do you think of the decision regarding your country’s borders? Please elaborate on your answer.