- In your view, what are the benefits of a four-day work week?
- Can a four-day work week help you save money? How?
- work-life balance /WURK-LAHYF-bal-uhns /
- deadline /DED-lahyn/
- make up for /meyk uhp fawr/
- schedule /SKEJ-ool/
- occasionally /uh-KEY-zhuh-nl-ee/
[noun] – the amount of time you spend doing your job compared with the amount of time you spend with your family and doing things you enjoy
When you own your own business, it can be challenging to achieve a healthy work-life balance.
[noun] – a time or day by which something must be done
The deadline is next Monday.
[verb phrase] – to take the place of something lost or damaged or to compensate for something bad with something good
Hard work can often make up for a lack of ability.
[noun] – a list of planned activities or things to be done showing the times or dates when they are intended to happen or be done
Let me check my schedule.
[adverb] – sometimes but not often
She watches the kids for us occasionally.
A four-day workweek appears to have many benefits. A London-based PR officer named Koray Camgöz had to manage his time more effectively as a result of the new timetable. He was still able to finish projects and fulfill deadlines even if he had an extra day off each week. He had more time to spend with his child. His days off varied between Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Because of the always-on environment, he had to work longer hours at work to make up for having to be accessible for emergencies even on his day off. According to Camgöz, it blurs the line between work and home. On a Sunday night, he would evaluate his workload and make the most efficient use of his time. On a Sunday night, he would evaluate his workload and make the most efficient use of his time.
The workload typically stays the same even though a workday is taken off the calendar. When given a tighter schedule, employees typically have to adapt to new habits and longer hours. As Camgöz observed, a hasty change to a new working model can occasionally lead to issues, particularly if not everyone is on board with the change. For certain people, the four-day workweek may offer several advantages, but it may also have unforeseen negative effects.
- What is being called the future of employee productivity and work-life balance?
- Who is Koray Camgöz?
- When are his days off?
- What did he have to do to make up for having to be accessible for emergencies even on his day off?
- What does a four-day workweek mean for certain people?
- Which do you prefer: a shorter workweek or the regular one? Why?
- Do you think a shorter workweek is ideal? Why or why not?
- Would you send your child to childcare? Why or why not?
- Do you agree that a quick transition to a new working model can cause problems?
- Do you think a shorter workweek will be applicable to your country? Why or why not?