- Do you go overtime?
- How often do you go on vacation?
- advance /ad-VANS/
- career /kuh-REER/
- typical /TIP-i-kuhl/
- professional /pruh-FESh-uh-nl/
- impossible /im-POS-uh-buhl/
[verb] – to go or move something forward, or to develop or improve something
He simply wants to advance his own career.
[noun] – the job or series of jobs that you do during your working life, especially if you continue to get better jobs and earn more money
He chose banking as a career.
[adjective] – showing all the characteristics that you would usually expect from a particular group of things
This painting is typical of his work.
[adjective] – relating to work that needs special training or education
She wants to become a professional cook.
[adjective] – If an action or event is impossible, it cannot happen or be achieved
Darkness made it impossible to continue.
Beth, an international marketing manager from Toronto, feels required to work even though she is on holiday in Europe. This is because she still puts in a lot of time outside of her usual workday by doing things like checking in with her coworkers on WhatsApp and listening to “a ton” of podcasts related to her area of work. Many tasks are still completed outside of the typical workday, despite the fact that for millions of knowledge workers, it has been getting longer.
For employees, these responsibilities after hours are nothing new. The pandemic has changed how people work, blurring the lines between home and professional life, which makes it even simpler for these behaviors to occur. Additionally, because this extra effort is implicitly expected, it is getting harder for employees to brush it off. This makes it nearly impossible to ever unwind.
True or False:
- Heavy workloads have become the norm.
- Neth is an international marketing manager from Toronto.
- Neth feels required to work even though she is on holiday in Europe.
- For employees, these responsibilities after hours are nothing new.
- Because this extra effort is implicitly expected, it is getting harder for employees to brush it off.
Fill in the blanks:
- It’s a ______ action film.
- We have _____ greatly in our knowledge of the world.
- He pursued a ______ in medicine.
- He became a ______ athlete at the age of 16.
- It seemed ______ that anyone could endure such pain.