- Do you like learning new things?
- What is something you recently learned about?
- curious /KYOOR-ee-uhs/
- trivia /TRIV-ee-uh/
- memory /MEM-uh-ree/
- difficult /DIF-i-kuhlt/
- interested /IN-ter-uh-stid/
[adjective] – interested in learning about people or things around you
Children are naturally curious about everything.
[noun] – unimportant or little-known details or information
The magazine is packed with trivia and gossip.
[noun] – the ability to remember information, experiences, and people
My grandmother still has a sharp memory.
[adjective] – not easy or simple; hard to do or to understand
Science is the most difficult subject for me.
[adjective] – wanting to give your attention to something and discover more about it
My sister is very interested in Chinese history.
A 2014 study showed that participants remembered the faces shown to them better when asked a trivia question that interested them. This sudden memory boost could be helpful when we’re trying to learn something difficult. After all, we don’t find our study interesting. But if something catches our attention about the knowledge, the rest sticks better. Curiosity may also improve our patience. In a recent, unpublished study by Abigail Hsiung, a Ph.D. candidate at Duke University in North Carolina, participants were more prepared to wait to find out the solution to a mystery when they were curious. This could be the reason why curiosity is such a strong sign of academic success.
Are you interested in learning more about the benefits of curiosity? As physicist Richard Feynman once said, “Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough.” Don’t stay put; study more!
True or False:
- Participants in a 2014 study remembered the faces shown to them better when asked questions that interested them.
- All people find their studies interesting.
- Curiosity can improve our patience.
- Abigail Hsiung is a Ph.D. candidate at Duke University in North Carolina.
- Hsuing’s recent study shows that participants do not want to wait to find out the solution to a mystery.
Fill in the blanks
- She has suffered from _______ loss since the accident.
- I’m _______ to know what will happen in the next episode!
- I’m not _______ in sports.
- Seth knows a lot of music _______.
- Learning English has never been _______ for Yuki.