- What natural disasters have happened in your country?
- Does it often flood in your area?
- completely /kuhm-PLEET-lee/
- destroy /dih-STROI/
- cost /kost/
- hope /hohp/
- sink /singk/
[adverb] – in every way or as much as possible
Don’t touch the wall! Wait for the paint to completely dry first.
[verb] – to damage something so badly that it cannot be used
Many houses were destroyed by the fire.
[noun] – the amount of money needed to buy, do, or make something
There is no extra cost for the software.
[verb] – to want something to happen or to be true, and usually have a good reason to think that it might
I hope I can go to Japan next year.
[verb] – to (cause something or someone to) go down below the surface or to the bottom of a liquid or soft substance
The Titanic sank in 1912.
True or False
- Millions of Pakistani residents are still homeless.
- Schools and hospitals were also destroyed by the floods.
- The estimated cost of reconstruction is more than $30 million.
- Najma is worried about not reaching her dreams because her school was sunk by the flood.
- The Balochistan province of Hana Urak is generally more vulnerable to rain than drought.
Fill in the blanks
- According to news reports, the passenger ship _______ yesterday afternoon.
- She has changed _______! I almost didn’t recognize her.
- She _______ to see them again next month.
- My friend volunteered to cover the transportation _______.
- The old church was _______ by the earthquake.