- What is your favorite flavor?
- What food smell makes you hungry?
- unusual /uhn-YOO-zhoo-uhl/
- well-known /WEL-NOHN/
- common /KOM-uhn/
- solve /solv/
- notice /NOH-tis/
[adjective] – different from others of the same type in a way that is surprising, interesting, or attractive
This dish has an unusual flavor.
[adjective] – known or recognized by many people
Carmen is a well-known opera singer.
[adjective] – the same in a lot of places or for a lot of people
I have a lot in common with my older brother.
[verb] – to find an answer to a problem
Could you help me solve this puzzle?
[verb] – to see or become conscious of something or someone
Sorry, I didn’t notice Allen going out.
Many synesthetes are afraid of being made fun of for their rare talent. This is because the condition is not well-known. Researchers could only guess the origins of synesthesia until recently. Based on studies, the most common kind of synesthesia is colored hearing. It involves recognizing sounds, music, or speech as colors. Most synesthetes say that they see these sounds “in the mind’s eye.” The researchers presented one synesthete with simple math problems, such as “5 + 2.” The results showed that solving this problem triggered the idea of 7. The synesthete then became aware of the color associated with that number. “Synesthesia may help us understand how the concept of similarity is embedded within the nervous system,” says Yale University psychologist Larry Marks, Ph.D.
Josefa (Pepa) Salas Vilar is an artist with synaesthesia. She notices colors and movements in written words, sounds, and numbers. “I am a piece of a puzzle, and art is like finding my puzzle.”
True or False:
- Synaesthesia is a well-known condition.
- The most common kind of synesthesia is smelling flavors.
- Colored hearing involves recognizing sounds, music, or speech as colors.
- The synesthete became aware of the color associated with the number 7 after solving a math problem.
- Josefa (Pepa) Salas Vilar can notice colors and movements in written words, sounds, and numbers.
Fill in the blanks
- I cannot _______ this math problem. It’s too difficult!
- Did you _______ the crack in the ceiling?
- Extreme heat is not _______ in this area.
- He’s _______ for his work in the local community.
- She became popular worldwide due to her _______ talent.