- What is your favorite food?
- What food dish do you like the most?
- strange /streynj/
- ingredient /in-GREE-dee-uhnt/
- ancient /EYN-shuhnt/
- return /ri-TURN/
- complicated /KOM-pli-key-tid/
[adjective] – unusual and unexpected, or difficult to understand
I saw a strange flower in the forest.
[noun] – a food that is used with other foods in the preparation of a particular dish
What is the main ingredient of sashimi?
[adjective] – of or from a long time ago, having lasted for a very long time
This stone axe dates back to ancient times.
[verb] – to come or go back to a previous place
David returned home after about four hours.
[adjective] – involving a lot of different parts, in a way that is difficult to understand
This application form has many complicated instructions.
Bacalhau is the main ingredient of Portuguese food, which uses 20% of the global supply. The Portuguese have a deep affection for this fish, so much so that it is believed to have “365 ways to prepare salted cod, one for each day of the year.” The ancient culinary legacy of bacalhau dishes dates back to the late 14th century. Portugal’s 20th-century dictator, António de Oliveira Salazar, started a “cod campaign” in 1934 to revive the country’s fishing (and drying) industry and make cod the national symbol. However, many of the men never returned to their families’ homes due to the dangerous and tiresome work. Because of this complicated history, cod is loved by many in Portugal.
It is impossible to imagine what the country must go through to get these fish from the North Atlantic. But the Portuguese will continue to love it for many decades to come.
True or False:
- Bacalhau can only be found in the cold South Atlantic Ocean.
- Bacalhau uses 20% of the global supply.
- The culinary legacy of bacalhau dishes started around the late 14th century.
- António de Oliveira Salazar started a “cod campaign” in 1934.
- Many of the men never returned to their families’ homes during the campaign.
Fill in the blanks
- The rules seem too _______ to follow.
- _______ scrolls were found in these old caves.
- Do you hear that _______ noise from outside? I wonder what it is.
- The list of _______ included butter and sugar.
- She left her city and never _______.