- Where do you live?
- Do you like the sea?
- famous /FEY-muhs/
- olive /OL-iv/
- valuable /VAL-yoo-uh-buhl/
- hide /hahyd/
- special /SPESH-uhl/
[adjective] – known and recognized by many people
This city is famous for pineapples.
[noun] – a small bitter green or black fruit that is eaten or used to produce oil, or a Mediterranean tree on which this fruit grows
Could you buy me a jar of olives?
[adjective] – worth a lot of money
The thief stole valuable jewelry like diamonds.
[verb] – to put something or someone in a place where that thing or person cannot be seen or found, or to put yourself somewhere where you cannot be seen or found
Lily used to hide her diary under her pillow.
[adjective] – especially great or important, or having a quality that most similar things or people do not have
Today is Yuto’s special day.
Thanks to the sea, ancient Greece became aware of Ikaria’s famous Pramnian wine, olives, and honey production. But because of the island’s riches and valuable products, pirates were also attracted to it. In fear of invasion, the inhabitants of Ikaria moved their houses into the mountains to create the illusion that the island doesn’t have any residents. For the next three hundred years, the people of the island would hide their culture among the rocky summits of Ikaria’s Aetheras range.
The islanders still have a special place in their hearts for the upland refuge known as Lagkada. But now, all that’s left of it are stone homes, like a ghost town. An Ikarian winemaker said, “There is still at least one man living there permanently. […] Most of us see him only when we go to Lagkada’s panigýri (festival). The rest of the year, he must be surrounded by ghosts.”
True or False:
- Ancient Greece became aware of Ikaria’s famous Pramnian wine, olives, and honey production.
- Pirates were attracted to the island because of its riches.
- The residents moved their houses near the sea in fear of invasion.
- The residents hid their culture for 200 years.
- One man still lives in Lagkada.
Fill in the blanks
- Where did you _______ the tools? I can’t find them anywhere.
- Soccer is a _______ sport in Japan.
- Please always keep an eye on your _______ belongings.
- Most stores have _______ discounts for their staff.
- I don’t like _______. I prefer bell pepper.