- What is your favorite food?
- Do you like meat?
- expensive /ik-SPEN-siv/
- butcher /BOOCH-er/
- purpose /PUR-puhs/
- provide /pruh-VAHYD/
- exist /ig-ZIST/
[adjective] – costing a lot of money
The concert tickets are expensive.
[noun] – a person who sells meat in a shop
The local butcher is a family friend of ours.
[noun] – why you do something or why something exists
What is the purpose of your visit?
[verb] – to give someone something that they need
I’ll provide food and drinks for the picnic.
[verb] – to be, or to be real
I don’t think ghosts exist.
At the Japanese Wagyu Olympics, breeders can display the quality of their cows. Winners can sell their cattle and carcasses to the best restaurants and butchers in the world for the highest price. But there is more to winning. It involves the Japanese concept of ikigai. “[Ikigai] is a deep sense of purpose; the reason for getting up every morning; that which gives one’s life much of its meaning,” said Andrea Fazzari, James Beard award-winning photographer and author. Wagyu production is a long, complicated process. So the Olympics provide Wagyu beef farmers the opportunity to show the results of their efforts to breed the best cow.
Absolute perfection doesn’t exist. But we also get to taste the delicious flavor and high quality of Wagyu beef thanks to the Japanese idea of ikigai.
True or False:
- Wagyu is known as the most expensive beef in Asia.
- Producing Wagyu beef is different from producing other types of meat.
- Winners at the Japanese Wagyu Olympics can sell their cattle and carcasses to the best restaurants and butchers in the world.
- Andrea Fazzari is a judge at the Japanese Wagyu Olympics.
- Wagyu production does not take a long time.
Fill in the blanks
- Please _______ a valid ID.
- Some people believe that life _______ in other planets.
- Art materials are _______. I can’t afford them!
- My grandfather was a _______.
- Please list the _______ of this meeting.