- Do you like air travel?
- How old were you when you first traveled by plane?
- airline /AIR-lahyn/
- fuel /FYOO-uhl/
- goods /goods/
- efficient /ih-FISH-uhnt /
- switch /swich/
[noun] – a business that operates regular services for carrying passengers and/or goods by aircraft
Computerized reservation systems help increase airline profits in several ways.
[noun] – a substance that is used to provide heat or power, usually by being burned
The plane was running low on fuel.
[noun] – things to be transported, as distinct from passengers.
The goods were transported by train.
[adjective] – working or operating quickly and effectively in an organized way
We must make the most efficient use of the available financial resources.
[verb] – to change suddenly or completely, especially from one thing to another
Let’s switch to some other topic.
Fuel is used very quickly by airplanes. This explains why air travel is so bad for the environment, whether it’s for people or goods. There will likely be a surprising increase in flights worldwide over the next few decades. One aircraft can emit as much CO2 as many individuals do in a whole year. Aviation is one of the fastest-growing economies when compared to other sectors. All of this indicates that we should start treating aviation emissions very seriously. Although airplanes are becoming more and more efficient, not much has been done to actually decarbonize them up to this point.
Long-term aviation must totally transition away from fossil fuels if the world is to achieve the considerable reductions in carbon emissions specified in the Paris Agreement on climate change. Can we modify how our airplanes fly or switch to alternative fuels to lessen their impact on the environment?
True or False:
- Airlines are looking for ways to lessen their impact on the environment.
- Airlines are using less fuel to produce fewer contrails.
- Fuel is used very quickly by airplanes.
- Air travel is bad for the environment.
- Long-term aviation must totally transition away from fossil fuels.
Fill in the blanks:
- The transportation of ______ by air costs a lot.
- What kind of ______ do these machines need?
- Last year, the _______ carried 4.6 million passengers.
- Would you ______ the channel?
- She is a very ______ person.