- How are you today?
- What is your comfort food?
- remind /ri-MAHYND/
- contain /kuhn-TEYN/
- mood /mood/
- celebration /sel-uh-BREY-shuhn/
- certain /SUR-tn/
[verb] – to make someone think of something they have forgotten or might have forgotten
Remind me to call Alan before I go out.
[verb] – to have something inside or include something as a part
Fruit juices contain natural sugars.
[noun] – the way you feel at a particular time
You’re in a good mood this morning!
[noun] – the act of celebrating something
There was a celebration in our house that night.
[determiner] – particular but not named or described
We have certain reasons for our decision,
What we think of as comfort food contains some inconsistencies, according to researchers. For example, a 2010 study found that those who had more life changes tended to choose experimental dishes rather than sticking to tried-and-true ones. Scientists have also questioned whether the calories in comfort foods might actually improve mood, despite the contradicting results. In fact, a study of 1,400 people in North America found that while men were more likely to eat comfort foods as a celebration, women typically felt horrible after consuming them. Despite these contradictions, it is clear that comfort food holds a special place in the hearts of many individuals.
While it may be difficult to pinpoint exactly what constitutes a “comfort meal,” it is evident that certain foods have a substantial impact on our mental health. Whether we are seeking solace through trying times or enjoying a good occasion, comfort food is typically a vital part of the experience.
True or False:
- The phrase “comfort food” has been around for a long time.
- A 2010 study found that people who have more life changes tend to choose tried-and-true dishes.
- Scientists have questioned whether comfort foods’ calories actually improve mood.
- Comfort food holds a special place in the hearts of many individuals.
- Certain foods have a substantial impact on our mental health.
Fill in the blanks:
- ______ chemicals are easily absorbed into the bloodstream.
- The ______ in the room changed from happy to sad when the news was announced.
- Please ______ me to call my mom at 6 p.m.
- This bag ______ all the items you need for your camping trip.
- Let’s have a ______ to mark the completion of our project.