I will read each question. Then, please answer them.
- What electrical appliances do you have in your bedroom?
- Have you ever experienced not having electricity?
I will read the words, meanings, and sample sentences. Then, repeat after me.
- recent /REE-suhnt/
- annual /AN-yoo-uhl/
- include /in-KLOOD/
- tax /taks/
- continue /kuhn-TIN-yoo/
[adjective] – happening or starting from a short time ago
Please submit the document with your recent photo.
[adjective] – happening once every year
The company holds annual events.
[verb] – to contain something as a part of something else, or to make something part of something else
Does the rent include furniture?
[noun] – (an amount of) money paid to the government that is based on your income or the cost of goods or services you have bought
The government has increased the tax on cigarettes.
[verb] – to keep happening, existing, or doing something, or to cause something or someone to do this
Let’s cancel our plans if the rain continues.
Please read the whole article. Then, I will check your pronunciation and intonation.
Norwegian energy corporation Equinor has announced record profits due to rising gas prices. Based on its recent financial data, pre-tax profits between July and September were $24.3 billion, up from $9.7 billion the year before. The high cost of gas and energy for homes and companies, however, is causing a rise in the cost of living for many people. On average, the annual cost of a UK household was around £1,300. Nowadays, it is currently around £2,500 per year, which also includes assistance from the UK government. In the UK, energy businesses that benefited from the price increase last year had to pay a windfall tax. The so-called Energy Profits Levy, which was initially set at 25%, will increase to 35% in January and continue until March 2028. Opedal claims that while the tax had no effect on Equinor’s investment strategy in the UK, it did have an impact on how each project was checked.
True or False
Read the sentences and identify if they are true or false based on the article.
- Equinor’s pre-tax profits between July and September were $24.3 billion.
- The average annual cost of a UK household was £2,500.
- Energy businesses that benefited from the price increase last year had to pay a windfall tax.
- The Energy Profits Levy was initially set at 25%.
- The windfall tax increase will continue until February only.
Fill in the blanks
Choose the correct word from the table then fill in the blanks.
- My parents and I make _______ visits to my grandparents.
- _______ is automatically deducted from your salary.
- She will _______ her studies abroad.
- The symptoms _______ fever and vomiting.
- There have been many changes in _______ years.