- What place in Europe would you like to visit and why?
- How often do you go hiking?
- (the) Alps /alps/
- extend /ik-STEND/
- peculiar /pi-KYOOL-yer/
- folklore /FOHK-lawr/
- misunderstood /mis-uhn-der-STOOD/
[noun (plural)] – a large mountain range in Europe, stretching from Austria and Slovenia in the east, through Italy, Switzerland, Germany, and Liechtenstein, to France in the west
This summer, we’re going hiking in the Alps.
[verb] – to reach, stretch, or continue
The route extends beyond the road’s end.
[adjective] – unusual and strange, sometimes in an unpleasant way
This cuisine style is peculiar to the southeastern provinces.
[noun] – the traditional stories, beliefs, and customs of a group of people
Folklore and fairy tales are frequently the basis for her writings.
[adjective] – describing something, indicating that it is often not properly or accurately understood by others
The misunderstood novel challenged societal norms and sparked conversations about cultural identity.
The Albanian Alps, which extend from northern Albania into southern Kosovo and northeastern Montenegro, are better known by their regional names, Bjeshkët e Nëmuna and Prokletije, both of which translate to “The Accursed Mountains.” However, it’s still unclear how these jagged limestone slopes came to bear such a peculiar name. According to local folklore, the devil escaped from hell and created the jagged glacial caverns. Some people believe that the alps received their name from a woman who cursed the mountains when she and her children couldn’t find any water while traveling through them on a hot day. Others claim that Slavic warriors gave the mountains their names because it was challenging for them to march across them. The mysterious history of the peaks serves as a kind of symbol for Albania as a whole.
Albania has long been referred to as “Europe’s enigma” by travel writers and book authors. However, this frequently misunderstood country is using slow travel as a method to let people in and teach them something about how a place can heal and develop.
- What do both names of the Albanian Alps translate to?
- What is the history of the Alps, according to local folklore?
- Based on some people’s beliefs, why did the woman curse the mountains?
- Why did the Slavic warriors give the mountains their names?
- What is Albania using to teach people something about how a place can heal and develop?
- What is the strangest place you know or have been to? Please explain the location.
- What unusual place in Japan would you recommend to a foreign friend? Why?
- Is it wise to use a mysterious and unusual place as a tourist spot?
- In what ways do you believe slow travel, as mentioned in the article, can play a role in changing perceptions and inviting people to explore and learn about a country’s history, evolution, and healing process?
- Considering Albania’s history of being referred to as “Europe’s enigma,” how can embracing its unique and lesser-known features through sustainable tourism contribute to breaking down misconceptions and fostering a deeper understanding of the country among travelers?