- incubator /IN-kyuh-bey-ter/
- concoction /kon-KOK-shuhn/
- administer /ad-MIN-uh-ster/
- additive /AD-i-tiv/
- replicate /REP-li-keyt/
[noun] – a heated, insulated box used to grow and maintain microbiological or cell cultures
Scientists are maximizing the use of incubators to grow the cell structures needed in their studies.
[noun] – something put together from several different things
This particular concoction had tamarind, garlic, and mustard seed, among other components.
[verb] – to give something to someone
Several medicines can be administered by paramedics.
[noun] – a substance that is added to food in order to improve its taste or appearance or to keep it fresh and stop it from decaying
Foods for babies cannot contain additives such as flavor enhancers, sweeteners, or colorings.
[verb] – to copy or repeat something
Researchers made numerous attempts to replicate the initial experiment.
According to Ed Steele, one of the co-founders of Hoxton Farms, their product can help manufacturers cut costs by not having to rely on additives like flavorings and binders in addition to plant oils. Linda Ho, the head food scientist at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) Centre for Culinary Innovation, claims that the “meaty” flavor can typically be added by employing natural flavorings. “There is quite a bit of research being done to replicate, using plant-based ingredients, the umami and savory flavors experienced when consuming meats.”
- What is your favorite type of meat (beef, chicken, fish, etc.)? How do you like it cooked?
- How often do you eat meat products? Is there a type of meat you rarely eat?
- Do you think using plant-based ingredients will cut costs for manufacturers?
- The article mentions using natural flavorings to replicate the “meaty” flavor experienced when consuming meats. In your opinion, how successful do you think these natural flavorings are in mimicking the taste of meat?
- What are some other factors besides flavor that you believe are essential in making plant-based products appealing to consumers?