- Have you ever seen cables underwater?
- Is connectivity important?
- beauty /BYOO-tee/
- cable /KEY-buhl/
- continent /KON-tn-uhnt/
- creature /KREE-cher/
- generation /jen-uh-REY-shuhn/
[noun] – the quality of being pleasing, especially to look at, or someone or something that gives great pleasure, especially when you look at it
The beauty of the sunset was breathtaking.
[noun] – a set of wires, covered by plastic, that carries electricity, phone signals, etc.
The engineer used a cable to secure the heavy equipment to the truck.
[noun] – one of the seven large land masses on the earth’s surface, surrounded, or mainly surrounded, by ocean and usually consisting of various countries
The Amazon rainforest covers several countries in South America, a continent in the western hemisphere.
[noun] – any large or small living thing that can move independently
The little girl was fascinated by the creatures she saw at the zoo.
[noun] – all the people of about the same age within a society or within a particular family
The current generation is more environmentally conscious than previous generations.
The undersea cable network is massive, with over 380 telecommunications cables spanning a length of over 1.2 million kilometers worldwide. This network is crucial for modern communication, but its impact on sea creatures is only starting to be understood. Some marine animals use magnetic fields and electric currents for navigation and hunting, and these cables could potentially interfere with their abilities. The issue of undersea cables and their effect on the marine environment is complex, with impacts ranging from localized habitat damage to the introduction of artificial substrates.
In conclusion, the ocean may have given us the gift of connectivity, but it’s our responsibility to protect its wonders for future generations.
True or False:
- The ocean is still a place of untamed beauty.
- Submarine cables can be seen in the ocean.
- Underwater power lines connect continents.
- The undersea cable network has a negative impact on sea creatures.
- It is our responsibility to protect the ocean for future generations.
Fill in the blanks:
- He untangled the ______ before plugging in his laptop.
- She always admired the natural ______ of flowers.
- Africa is the second largest ______ in the world by both area and population.
- Each new ______ brings fresh ideas and perspectives.
- The mysterious ______ in the lake was finally identified as a rare species of fish.