I will read each question. Then, please answer them.
- How do you prepare for natural disasters?
- What natural disasters hit your country?
I will read the words, meanings, and sample sentences. Then, repeat after me.
- emergency /ih-MUR-juhn-see/
- communication /kuh-myoo-ni-KEY-shuhn/
- kit /kit/
- approximately /uh-PROK-suh-mit-lee/
- asleep /uh-SLEEP/
[noun] – something dangerous or serious, such as an accident, that happens suddenly or unexpectedly and needs fast action in order to avoid harmful results
The mayor declared a state of emergency.
[noun] – the act of communicating with people
We communicate frequently by letters.
[noun] – a set of things, such as tools or clothes, used for a particular purpose or activity
I always bring a first-aid kit with me.
[adverb] – close to a particular number or time although not exactly that number or time
There are approximately four hours on the trip to London.
[adjective] – sleeping or not awake
The baby fell asleep while being held by her mother.
Please read the whole article. Then, I will check your pronunciation and intonation.
Disaster relief team ShelterBox based in Cornwall declared that it would send help to Turkey to help those affected by the earthquake. However, head of emergency response at ShelterBox Alice Jefferson said that “access and communication are challenging.” It says that it could give people in need a variety of supplies, including tents, shelter kits, and cash. There were several aftershocks to the earthquake that hit southern Turkey and northern Syria, one of which was nearly as strong as the original tremor. On the official scale, it was classified as a magnitude 7.8, or “big,” earthquake. It erupted along an approximately 100 km (62 mi) long fault, severely damaging neighboring structures. Many people were still asleep inside when the disaster occurred in the early morning hours. The level of preparedness would be lower than it would be in a locale more accustomed to coping with earthquakes because there had not been a large earthquake or any warning indications in this area in more than 200 years.
True or False
Read the sentences and identify if they are true or false based on the article.
- Disaster relief team ShelterBox is based in Cornwall.
- Access and communication are not challenging, according to Alice Jefferson.
- ShelterBox could give tents, shelter kits, and cash to the earthquake victims.
- The earthquake had a magnitude of 7.8.
- Many people were awake when the earthquake happened.
Fill in the blanks
Choose the correct word from the table then fill in the blanks.
- Email is one of the fastest ways of _______.
- It took us _______ ten days to finish this project.
- Sorry, I was _______ when you called.
- In case of _______, call this number.
- Do you have a first-aid _______ with you?