- Have you already gone snorkeling?
- Have you already seen a whale in real life?
- secret /SEE-krit /
- imagination /ih-maj-uh-NEY-shuhn/
- whale /weyl/
- depth /depth/
- method /METH-uhd/
[noun] – a piece of information that is only known by one person or a few people and should not be told to others
She whispered the secret to her best friend.
[noun] – the ability to form pictures in the mind
His imagination allowed him to create a world of his own.
[noun] – a very large sea mammal that breathes air through a hole at the top of its head
People often go on whale watching tours to observe these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat.
[noun] – the distance down either from the top of something to the bottom, or to a distance below the top surface of something:
The diver marveled at the depth of the ocean as they descended further, witnessing the mysterious world beneath the waves.
[noun] – a particular way of doing something
She always followed a strict method when cleaning her house.
From giant carnivorous squid to tusked whales, new species are being documented every year, but deep-sea mining and the impact of climate change pose a threat to these ecosystems. Scientists and oceanographers have been exploring the depths of the oceans for centuries, but their efforts have only revealed a fraction of what lies beneath the surface.
As technology and exploration methods continue to advance, we are getting closer to uncovering the secrets of marine life and preserving these fragile ecosystems. The journey to understand the mysteries of the ocean depths is never-ending and continues to capture the imagination of people worldwide. Whether it’s discovering new species or understanding the impact of human activities, the oceans hold a treasure trove of secrets waiting to be uncovered.
True or False:
- Only 0.5% of the ocean’s habitats have been explored.
- Deep-sea mining and climate change do not pose a threat to the ocean’s ecosystems.
- The journey to understand the mysteries of the ocean depths is a short one.
- The impact of human activities on the oceans is not important to uncover.
- Scientists have discovered all the species in the ocean’s depths.
Fill in the blanks:
- He kept the ______ locked away in a safe.
- The ______ is the largest mammal in the world.
- The story sparked her _______ and she became fully absorbed in the tale.
- The scientist was experimenting with a new ______ to solve the problem.
- Her painting captured the _____ of emotion in the subject’s eyes, revealing layers of feelings that words couldn’t express.