- Would you like one of your organs to be replaced if it failed? Why or why not?
- What do you think are the most significant advances in technology in the past decade?
- globally /gloh-buhl-li/
- artificial /ahr-tuh-FISH-uhl/
- measure /MEZH-er/
- replacement /ri-PLEYS-muhnt/
- advance /ad-VANS/
[adverb] – across the whole world
Globally, people are working to reduce carbon emissions to help protect the planet from climate change.
[adjective] – made by people, often as a copy of something natural
The company is developing an artificial intelligence tool to help doctors diagnose diseases more accurately and efficiently.
[noun] – a way to achieve something; a method
It is a measure intended to guarantee health care for everyone over the age of 60.
[noun] – a thing or person that takes the place of something or someone else
When a part of a machine breaks, the most cost-effective solution is often to buy a replacement part instead of repairing it.
[verb] – to go or move something forward, or to develop or improve something
The research team plans to advance their study of the disease by conducting clinical trials on human subjects.
The journey toward creating an artificial heart has been lengthy and arduous. The first successful implantation of an artificial heart was in 1982. However, it was designed to be a temporary measure while the patient waited for a heart transplant. It took until 2001 for the first self-contained artificial heart implantation. Though the patient lived only 151 days after the surgery, scientists are determined to perfect the technology. The potential of artificial hearts is enormous, not only as a replacement for human hearts but also as a bridge to transplant. As technology advances, hope grows for those who suffer from heart disease and their families. Artificial hearts can provide a reliable solution for those who have been waiting for over six decades.
In conclusion, the development of artificial hearts has been a challenging journey, but with each passing year, we are getting closer to finding a reliable solution for those suffering from heart disease.
- What is the leading cause of death globally?
- How long have scientists been working towards creating an artificial heart?
- Why have researchers and engineers been fascinated by the idea of creating an artificial heart?
- When was the first successful implantation of an artificial heart, and what was its purpose?
- What was the first self-contained artificial heart implantation, and how long did the patient live after the surgery?
- What are your personal thoughts and feelings about the ongoing search for a reliable artificial heart?
- Would you be willing to donate your heart for research into the development of artificial hearts? Why or why not?
- How would you feel if you or a loved one required an artificial heart as a bridge to a transplant or as a permanent solution?
- Do you agree that advancements in technology and innovation are bringing us closer to finding a reliable solution for heart disease?
- What impact do you think the development of a reliable artificial heart could have on society? Please elaborate on your answer.