- Do you think that changes in weather patterns can affect the quality of your sleep?
- Do you think the amount of daylight in a day affects the quality of your sleep?
- invigorated /in-VIG-uh-reyt-tid /
- sluggish /SLUGH-ish/
- alert /uh-LURT/
- disrupt /dis-RUHPT/
- cozy /KOH-zee /
[adjective] – full of life and energy
After going for a run in the park, I felt invigorated and full of energy.
[adjective] – moving or operating more slowly than usual and with less energy or power
After eating a heavy lunch, I felt sluggish and didn’t want to do anything.
[adjective] – quick to see, understand, and act in a particular situation
The watchman was very alert and noticed the thief trying to sneak in.
[verb] – to prevent something, especially a system, process, or event, from continuing as usual or as expected
The loud noise from the construction site disrupts my concentration while I’m studying.
[adjective] – comfortable and pleasant, especially (of a building) because of being small and warm
After a long day at work, I like to sit on my cozy couch and watch TV.
Sunlight exposure is key to regulating our sleep-wake cycle. During the spring and summer months, increased sunlight exposure helps us stay alert during the day but can make it harder to fall asleep at night. In contrast, shorter days and decreased sunlight exposure in the fall and winter can disrupt our sleep patterns and leave us feeling tired. To optimize our sleep, it’s crucial to get enough natural light during the day and create a cool, dark sleeping environment at night.
In short, our sleep is affected by the seasons and sunlight. We can improve our sleep by getting enough natural light during the day and creating a comfortable sleeping environment at night. So, go outside during the day and make your bedroom cozy at night for better sleep and overall health.
True or False:
- The seasons can affect our sleep.
- Sunlight exposure is important for regulating our sleep-wake cycle.
- Increased sunlight exposure in the spring and summer can make it harder to fall asleep at night.
- Shorter days and decreased sunlight exposure in the fall and winter can disrupt our sleep patterns.
- To improve our sleep, we should get enough natural light during the day and create a comfortable sleeping environment at night.
Fill in the blanks:
- The bed and breakfast had _____ rooms with comfortable beds and warm blankets.
- Drinking a glass of cold water in the morning can help you feel ______ and refreshed for the day ahead.
- Please do not ______ the class by talking loudly or making unnecessary noises.
- The car was moving very slowly and its engine sounded ______.
- The doctor advised me to stay ______ and get enough sleep to avoid feeling tired during the day.