- Do you like rice cakes?
- Have you ever eaten idlis before?
- spice up /spahys uhp/
- flour /flouuhr/
- signature /SIG-nuh-cher/
- option /OP-shuhn/
- routine /roo-TEEN/
[phrasal verb] – If you spice up something you add excitement or interest to it
Maria decided to spice up her presentation by adding some colorful images and fun facts.
[noun] – powder made from grain, especially wheat, used for making bread, cakes, pasta, pastry, etc.
To make a cake, you need flour, sugar, eggs, and butter.
[noun] – used to refer to the special thing for which a person or place is particularly known
The chef’s signature dish is a delicious pasta carbonara with crispy bacon and parmesan cheese.
[noun] – one thing that can be chosen from a set of possibilities, or the freedom to make a choice
For lunch, you have the option of getting a sandwich or a salad from the cafeteria.
[noun] – a usual or fixed way of doing things
I feel stuck in my daily routine, and it’s getting harder to break free from it.
Believe it or not, idlis have been around for over a thousand years! Originating in the South Indian kingdom of the Cholas, idlis were initially made by hand using black lentils and rice flour. Today, the recipe has been simplified, but the traditional method and ingredients remain highly regarded. What sets idlis apart is their simple yet effective fermentation process, which gives them their signature tangy flavor and airy texture. Not only are idlis delicious, but they are also highly nutritious and easy to digest. They are a great option for those with digestive issues as well as anyone looking for a healthy breakfast. Plus, idlis are incredibly versatile and can be paired with a variety of accompaniments, from chutney to lentil stew.
In short, Idlis are a delicious and nutritious breakfast dish from South India that has gained popularity around the world. They offer a unique flavor and are a great way to mix up your breakfast routine. Give them a try!
True or False:
- Idlis are a popular breakfast dish.
- The traditional recipe for idlis has changed over time.
- Idlis are only suitable for people who have digestive problems.
- Idlis are a breakfast dish from North India.
- Idlis are recommended to add variety to your breakfast routine.
Fill in the blanks:
- The pandemic has forced us into a new ______, and it’s been challenging to adjust to these changes.
- My mom always dusts the countertop with ______ before rolling out the dough for homemade pizza.
- The hotel offers guests the _______ of having breakfast delivered to their room for an additional fee.
- The restaurant is famous for their ______ dish, a juicy steak served with roasted vegetables and creamy mashed potatoes.
- Let’s ______ our weekly routine by trying a new activity or going somewhere we haven’t been before.