- Have you ever heard about pilots who survived after ejecting underwater?
- Would you be interested in learning about the psychological impact on pilots who have had to eject underwater?
- reality /ree-AL-i-tee/
- remarkable /ri-MAHR-kuh-buhl/
- burst /burst/
- pay off /PEY awf/
- overcome /oh-ver-KUHM/
[noun] – the state of things as they are, rather than as they are imagined to be
The reality of the situation is that studying hard for your exams is necessary to achieve good grades.
[adjective] – unusual or special and therefore surprising and worth mentioning
The progress he made in just a month was remarkable; he went from not being able to hold a conversation to speaking fluently in English.
[verb] – to break open or apart suddenly, or to make something do this
The balloon burst loudly when he accidentally sat on it.
[phrasal verb] – if something you have done pays off, it is successful
Studying hard and consistently for the exam will pay off when you see your good grades.
[verb] – to defeat or succeed in controlling or dealing with something
She worked hard to overcome her fear of public speaking by joining a debate club and practicing in front of others.
During a routine training mission for the US Navy in the 1960s, these pilots found themselves in a life-threatening situation. They were submerged in freezing water, and the pressure was so intense that their eardrums burst. However, their training and preparation paid off, and they were able to stay alive for hours using their survival techniques and limited resources.
The story of these pilots is a testament to the importance of being prepared for unexpected events. While their experience was extreme, it highlights the need for resilience, adaptability, and quick thinking in any situation. The pilot’s story is not only one of survival but also one of inspiration and hope, reminding us that with the right mindset and tools, we can overcome any adversity that comes our way.
True or False:
- The pilots in the story experienced a situation that was impossible to imagine.
- The survival story of these pilots is one of the most remarkable in aviation history.
- The pilots’ eardrums did not burst due to the intense pressure.
- The pilots’ training and preparation helped them stay alive using limited resources.
- The story of the pilots provides inspiration and hope to those who face adversity.
Fill in the blanks:
- She worked hard to ______ her shyness, and now she has many friends.
- The ______ is that you need to study hard if you want to pass your exams.
- The singer’s ______ voice amazed the audience during the concert.
- When the balloon ______, it made a loud noise and scared the children.
- All your hard work will ______ when you receive your exam results.