- Have you seen elephants in person?
- Can you imagine a world without elephants?
- destroy /dih-STROI/
- suitable /SOO-tuh-buhl/
- disappear /dis-uh-PEER/
- challenge /CHAL-inj/
- prevent /pri-VENT/
[verb] – to damage something so badly that it cannot be used
The bulldozer was used to destroy the old building so that a new one could be built.
[adjective] – acceptable or right for someone or something
This shirt isn’t suitable for a job interview; you should wear something more formal.
[verb] – to no longer exist
The footprints in the snow will disappear once it starts to melt.
[noun] – something that needs great mental or physical effort in order to be done successfully
Solving a crossword puzzle can be a fun challenge for people who enjoy word games.
[verb] – to stop something from happening
Wearing a helmet can prevent head injuries in the event of a bike accident.
This habitat loss began during European colonization in the 1700s, when the government implemented new ideas, regulations, and finances that affected Asia’s forests. This has forced elephants to migrate, causing challenges for communities with little experience with the species. To help the current elephant populations survive, it’s important to establish areas of suitable habitat instead of driving them into ever-smaller areas. Proper planning can prevent conflict between humans and elephants. People, governments, and organizations must protect endangered species habitats.
True or False:
- Cutting down trees from forests to make room for farms or buildings is good for the living spaces of Asian elephants.
- Since 1700, their habitat has decreased by 3.3 million square kilometers.
- China and India still have plenty of habitat for Asian elephants.
- The habitat of elephants in Bangladesh, Thailand, Vietnam, and Indonesia is disappearing.
- Proper planning can prevent conflict between humans and elephants.
Fill in the blanks:
- Taking measures to ___________ the spread of disease is crucial for public health.
- This job requires a candidate with ___________ qualifications and experience.
- The magician made the rabbit ___________ into thin air.
- The hurricane is expected to ___________ homes and buildings along the coast.
- Solving this puzzle will be a ___________ for even the most skilled problem-solver.