- Have you ever had an encounter with an elephant? Tell me about it. If not, would you want to?
- Do you think humans have caused too much damage to Mother Nature? Why or why not?
- habitat /HAB-i-tat/
- decline /dih-KLAHYN/
- species /SPEE-sheez/
- community /kuh-MYOO-ni-tee/
- survival /ser-VAHY-vuhl/
[noun] – the natural environment in which an animal or plant usually lives
The zookeepers built a special habitat for the lions with tall grass and rocks.
[noun] – when something becomes less in amount, importance, quality, or strength
Due to a decline in enrollment, the school had to close some of its programs.
[noun] – a set of animals or plants in which the members have similar characteristics to each other and can breed with each other
The conservationists worked to protect the habitat of the endangered species of sea turtles.
[noun] – the people living in one particular area or people who are considered as a unit because of their common interests, social group, or nationality
The local community came together to raise money for a new playground.
[noun] – the state of continuing to exist, and not to fail or be destroyed
Animals have developed a variety of strategies for survival, such as camouflage and defensive behavior.
The acceleration of elephant habitat loss happened at the same time as European colonization during the 1700s. This era saw the expansion of new ideas, financial impacts, and regulatory structures implemented by the government into the forests of Asia. Today, habitat loss has forced elephants to migrate from their usual territories, creating challenges for human communities that have little experience with the species. To ensure the survival of current elephant populations, it is recommended to replace the practice of driving them into ever-shrinking habitats with attempts to establish areas of suitable habitat. Proper planning can help avoid conflict between humans and elephants, while individuals, governments, and organizations can take action to protect the habitats of endangered species.
- What has caused the decline of suitable habitat for the Asian elephant?
- In how many countries across Asia can endangered species be found?
- How has large-scale habitat loss affected the relationship between humans and elephants?
- When did the acceleration of elephant habitat loss occur?
- What is the recommended approach to ensuring the survival of current elephant populations?
- How do you feel about the dwindling habitat of Asian elephants?
- Do you feel partly responsible for the decline? Why or why not?
- Do you think humans are making enough efforts to solve this problem?
- What actions can individuals take to help protect the habitats of endangered species like the Asian elephant?
- How can governments and organizations work together to address the issue of habitat loss?