- Are you familiar with the animals that live in the ocean?
- Do you think it is important to protect our oceans?
- ocean /OH-shuhn/
- creature /KREE-cher/
- scientist /SAHY-uhn-tist/
- similar /SIM-uh-ler/
- technology /tek-NOL-uh-jee/
[noun] – the large mass of salt water that covers most of the earth’s surface
Sharks are commonly found in the ocean, but they usually don’t bother humans.
[noun] – any large or small living thing that can move independently
Creatures such as insects and spiders are an important part of the ecosystem.
[noun] – an expert who studies or works in one of the sciences
Many scientists work in laboratories, conducting experiments and analyzing data.
[adjective] – looking or being almost, but not exactly, the same
The twins looked very similar, and it was hard to tell them apart.
[noun] – the practical, especially industrial, use of scientific discoveries
Smartphones, laptops, and tablets are all examples of modern technology.
There are probably 2.2 million different species living there, but we’ve only found and described 240,000 of them. The project will build on similar efforts in the past, like the Census of Marine Life, which found 6,000 new ocean species. The new technology used in the Ocean Census will make it easier and faster to study sea creatures in their natural habitat, including animals like jellyfish. They’ll also use new ways to study DNA to help identify and track new species.
True or False:
- The Ocean Census is a project that wants to find and record all the different types of animals and plants living in the ocean.
- They plan to use traditional tools like underwater radar.
- The project wants to find 100,000 new species in the next 10 years.
- This will help us understand more about the ocean and how to protect it.
- There are probably 2.2 million different species living there, and we have identified all of them.
Fill in the blanks:
- The research team found that the new species of fish they discovered had __________ characteristics to those found in another part of the ocean.
- The new __________ used to study marine life has greatly improved our understanding of the ocean’s ecosystem.
- The __________ living in the deep sea can be quite strange and unique.
- A __________ who studies marine biology is interested in the plants and animals that live in the ocean.
- The __________ covers more than 70% of the Earth’s surface.