- Do you know any endangered animals?
- Do you think ordinary people can save endangered animals?
- rare /rair /
- poaching /POH-ching /
- situation /sich-oo-EY-shuhn /
- trade /treyd /
- import /im-PAWRT/
[adjective] – not common or frequent; very unusual
The rare butterfly species is only found in a few remote locations around the world.
[gerund] – the catching and killing of animals without permission on someone else’s land
The park ranger caught several individuals poaching deer in the national park.
[noun] – the set of things that are happening and the conditions that exist at a particular time and place
I’m sorry, but I can’t come to the meeting due to a family situation that requires my attention.
[noun] – the activity of buying and selling, or exchanging, goods and/or services between people or countries
The fur trade was a major industry in North America during the 18th and 19th centuries.
[verb] – to buy or bring in products from another country
The company decided to import the raw materials from China to save on production costs.
Some of the turtles Sung is trying to save are the golden coin turtle, the beale’s-eyed turtle, and the big-headed turtle. Possessing an endangered turtle is illegal in Hong Kong, but the demand for them remains high, resulting in an illegal trade that involves both endangered and common species. The city has seized many live turtles and tortoises from illegal smugglers since 2015. Hong Kong also legally imported over 4.3 million turtles and tortoises between 2015 and 2022.
True or False:
- Hong Kong is a safe haven for some rare turtle species that are facing extinction due to hunting in other parts of Asia.
- Poaching incidents in Hong Kong are decreasing, which is beneficial to the turtle populations there.
- The golden coin turtle, the beale’s-eyed turtle, and the big-headed turtle are among the turtle populations that Sung is fighting to preserve.
- Possessing an endangered turtle is legal in Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong legally imported over 4.3 million turtles and tortoises between 2015 and 2022.
Fill in the blanks:
- I don’t know how to handle this ______; can you help me?
- International ______ has been a driving force behind the growth of the global economy.
- A white lion is a ______ sight in the wild, as it is a color mutation of the African lion species.
- Small businesses may struggle to compete with larger corporations, which can ______ to import goods at a lower cost.
- The authorities are cracking down on ______ to protect endangered species.