- upcoming /UHP-kuhm-ing/
- intensity /in-TEN-si-tee/
- aboard /uh-BAWRD/
- insight /IN-sahyt/
- devastating /DEV-uh-stey-ting/
[adjective] – happening soon
The weather forecast predicts rain for the upcoming weekend, so remember to bring your umbrella.
[noun] – the strength of something that can be measured such as light, sound, etc.
The intensity of the storm was evident as the wind howled and the rain poured down.
[preposition] – on or onto a ship, aircraft, bus, or train
The entire team assembled aboard the bus, ready to travel to the competition.
[noun] – a clear, deep, and sometimes sudden understanding of a complicated problem or situation, or the ability to have such an understanding
The documentary offered viewers a fascinating insight into the daily lives of wildlife in their natural habitats.
[adjective] – causing a lot of damage or destruction
The forest fire had a devastating impact on the wildlife, destroying their habitats and causing many animals to flee.
The goal of the mission is to enable scientists and researchers to accurately predict storm strength and give people enough time to evacuate and make necessary plans. The data collected by the CubeSats will include precipitation, temperature, and humidity measurements of tropical storms, allowing for a better understanding of storm intensity and rapid changes. The TROPICS mission will complement current weather satellites and provide valuable insights into the inner structure and dynamics of storms. With hurricanes and tropical storms having devastating effects on lives and livelihoods, the need for improved climate and weather data from space is crucial. The collected data will be shared with organizations such as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Joint Typhoon Warning Center, and the National Hurricane Center.
- Have you or anyone you know ever been affected by a tropical storm or hurricane? How did it impact your life or the lives of those around you?
- How do you typically prepare for severe weather events, such as hurricanes? Do you have an evacuation plan in place?
- Are you familiar with the role of satellites in weather monitoring and forecasting?
- How does the TROPICS mission aim to improve hurricane forecasting compared to existing weather-monitoring satellites?
- Why is it important to accurately predict storm strength and provide sufficient warning time for people in hurricane-prone areas?
- hurricane season