- Do you know what wild animals are?
- Can people and wild animals live together?
- wildlife /WAHYLD-lahyf/
- recently /REE-suhnt-lee/
- attack /uh-TAK/
- system /SIS-tuhm/
- nearby /NEER-BAHY/
[noun] – animals and plants that grow independently of people, usually in natural conditions
The remote island is home to a diverse range of wildlife, including bears, deer, and birds.
[adverb] – not long ago, or at a time that started not long ago
He recently started taking guitar lessons and is making good progress.
[verb] – to try to hurt or defeat using violence
The army launched a surprise attack on the enemy camp under the cover of darkness.
[noun] – a set of connected things or devices that operate together
The immune system helps protect the body from infections and diseases.
[adverb] – not far away
The supermarket is located nearby, just a short walk from our house.
The six lions that were killed on Saturday attacked and killed 11 goats and a dog. The KWS met with locals and government officials to talk about the problem. They discussed ways to make the problem smaller, like using systems to tell people when there are animals nearby. They also talked about how people and animals can live together. It is very important to solve this problem because many lions are being killed.
True or False:
- The Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) reported more problems between people and wild animals in southern Kenya.
- Sixteen lions were killed, six of them in just one day.
- The owner of the livestock killed Loonkiito because he was hungry.
- The Lion Guardians group stated that there are more problems between people and lions after a long time without rain.
- They discussed ways to minimize the problem, such as using systems to alert people when there are animals nearby.
Fill in the blanks:
- The dog barked loudly, ready to ______ anyone who approached the house.
- The transportation ______ in the city consists of buses, trains, and taxis.
- We decided to explore the ______ park for a picnic and some outdoor activities.
- The documentary showcased the stunning beauty of African ______, featuring lions, elephants, and giraffes.
- She ______ moved to a new city and is still adjusting to her new surroundings.