- Did you know that bear bile is used as medicine?
- Would you be willing to be treated with bear bile?
- rescue /RES-kyoo/
- cruel /KROO-uhl/
- condition /kuhn-DISH-uhn/
- illness /IL-nis/
- encourage /en-KUR-ij/
[verb] – to help someone or something out of a dangerous, harmful, or unpleasant situation
The stranded cat was stuck on a tree branch until a kind neighbor climbed up to rescue it.
[KROO-uhl] – extremely unkind and unpleasant and causing pain to people or animals intentionally
It was cruel of him to tease and mock his classmates for their appearance.
[noun] – the physical situation that someone or something is in and affected by
The used car was in excellent condition, with low mileage and no signs of previous accidents.
[noun] – a disease of the body or mind
She took time off from work to recover from her illness and regain her strength.
[verb] – to make someone more likely to do something, or to make something more likely to happen
The teacher always encourages her students to ask questions and participate in class discussions.
Traditional Chinese medicine relies on bear bile for treating certain illnesses, even though there isn’t enough scientific evidence to support its effectiveness. In Vietnam, there’s a legal loophole that allows farmers to keep bears by claiming they don’t extract bile, although they do. Activists and authorities are working with local communities to encourage them to voluntarily give up their bears. In China, there’s a big market for bear bile products, which are considered legal medicines. It’s still unclear how bear farming affects the consumption of bile from wild bears.
True or False:
- Animals Asia sells bears to farms in Vietnam and China.
- Bears kept captive have bile extracted from their bodies, causing pain.
- China still profits from the cruel practice of extracting bear bile.
- Captive bears are very healthy.
- Stopping this practice is difficult because it is profitable, and some people prefer real bear bile.
Fill in the blanks:
- It’s important to speak out against ________ acts and promote kindness and compassion.
- The firefighter bravely rushed into the burning building to ________ the trapped residents.
- The patient’s medical ________ improved after receiving proper treatment.
- The flu outbreak led to an increase in the number of people suffering from respiratory ________.
- The teacher always tries to ______ us to do our best on our homework by giving us helpful tips and positive feedback.