- Do you know what the word ‘endangered’ means?
- Do you think it’s important to conserve endangered species?
- survival /ser-VAHY-vuhl/
- release /ri-LEES/
- domestic /duh-MES-tik/
- immediate /ih-MEE-dee-it /
- emphasize /EM-fuh-sahyz/
[noun] – the fact of a person, organization, etc. continuing to live or exist
The company faced financial challenges, but strategic decisions were made to ensure its survival.
[verb] – to give freedom or free movement to someone or something
The zoo announced plans to release several rehabilitated animals back into the wild.
[adjective] – belonging or relating to the home, house, or family
Domestic animals, such as dogs and cats, are commonly kept as pets.
[adjective] – happening or done without delay or very soon after something else
The immediate response of emergency services helped minimize the damage caused by the fire.
[verb] – to show that something is very important or worth giving attention to
The manager emphasized the company’s core values during the team meeting.
The Scottish wildcats used to be plentiful across the country, but they have suffered from habitat loss, breeding with domestic cats, and diseases, which have led to a significant decrease in their numbers. With fewer than 100 purebred wildcats left in the wild, immediate action is necessary to prevent their extinction. The reintroduction program aims to strengthen the wildcat population by releasing genetically assessed and carefully bred individuals, ensuring they are suited for survival in the wild. The project also involves monitoring their progress and involving local communities in conservation efforts. By raising awareness and engaging with local residents, the project hopes to foster a sense of responsibility and emphasize the importance of protecting the Scottish wildcat and its habitat.
True or False:
- Scottish wildcats are not endangered.
- The WildGenes laboratory works hard to save the wildcats.
- The goal of the project is to catch and cage Scottish wildcats.
- There are 10,000 purebred wildcats remaining in the wild.
- The project involves monitoring the progress of the released wildcats.
Fill in the blanks:
- The wildlife reserve is set to ___________ the injured eagle once it recovers.
- The patient’s injuries required ___________ medical attention to prevent further complications.
- The speaker used visual aids to ___________ the key points of the presentation.
- The ___________ cat made itself comfortable on the living room couch.
- The hiker’s knowledge of wilderness skills was crucial for their ___________ in the rugged terrain.