©NYU Langone Health
- prompt /prompt /
- fertile /FUR-tl/
- donor /DOH-ner/
- sibling /SIB-ling /
- retain /ri-TEYN/
[verb] – to make someone decide to say or do something
The passionate speech by the activist prompted the audience to take immediate action against climate change.
[adjective] – (of people or animals) able to produce young
The doctor assured the young woman that she had a fertile reproductive system, increasing her chances of conceiving a child.
[noun] – a person who gives some of their blood or a part of their body to help someone who is ill
Doctors removed the healthy kidney from the donor.
[noun] – a brother or sister
I have a younger sibling who always looks up to me and wants to join in on all the activities I do.
[verb] – to keep or continue to have something
After completing the project, the teacher instructed us to retain our notes for future reference.
Vicky Pattison, an Essex TV presenter, recently froze her eggs because she wasn’t ready for motherhood. She fertilized three eggs with her partner’s sperm (20% chance of success) and retained three unfertilized eggs (10% chance). Vicky emphasizes the need for transparent information to make informed decisions. The HFEA emphasizes age’s impact on egg freezing success, particularly among women under 35. Consultant obstetrician and gynecologist Bassel Wattar stresses the importance of raising awareness about the procedure’s benefits and considerations and providing comprehensive support to individuals on their fertility journey.
- Have you encountered any discussions or awareness campaigns about egg freezing in your community or educational institution?
- Have you ever considered freezing your eggs or sperm as a way to preserve your fertility for later in life? How do you think the decision to freeze eggs or sperm might impact your future family planning and overall life goals?
- Do you agree that there should be more awareness and education about the pros and cons of egg freezing for women who are considering the procedure?
- Can you think of any ethical considerations or dilemmas associated with egg or sperm freezing?
- What are your expectations or hopes for the future of reproductive technologies like egg and sperm freezing?
- unfertilized eggs
- fertility preservation