- Is bird flu considered a global health concern?
- Do you think it is possible for bird flu to cause a pandemic similar to other infectious diseases?
- scientist /SAHY-uhn-tist/
- virus /VAHY-ruhs/
- control /kuhn-TROHL/
- recent /REE-suhnt /
- disease /dih-ZEEZ/
[noun] – an expert who studies or works in one of the sciences
The scientist conducted experiments in the laboratory to understand the chemical reaction.
[VAHY-ruhs] – an extremely small piece of organic material that causes disease in humans, animals, and plants
The virus can spread from person to person through coughing and sneezing.
[verb] – to order, limit, or rule something, or someone’s actions or behaviour
Teachers use classroom rules to control the behavior of students and create a positive learning environment.
[adjective] – happening or starting from a short time ago
I watched a recent movie that was released last week.
[noun] – (an) illness of people, animals, plants, etc., caused by infection or a failure of health rather than by an accident
The doctor is treating a patient with a serious disease that affects their immune system.
True or False:
- Bird flu strains are unable to bypass our bodies’ defenses.
- BTN3A3, a part of our DNA, is not involved in preventing the spread of bird flu viruses in our noses, throats, and lungs.
- The recent avian flu outbreak had no impact on birds.
- Scientists aim to study the genetic code of bird flu strains in birds to identify those that can harm humans and take targeted actions to control their spread.
- The discovery and genetic monitoring provide valuable information to assess future disease risks and protect public health.
Fill in the blanks:
- Parents use discipline to _______ their children’s behavior and teach them right from wrong.
- The _________ carefully observed and recorded the results of the study.
- The veterinarian is conducting tests to determine the cause of the disease in the sick dog.
- It’s important to wash your hands frequently to prevent the spread of the _____.
- My friend and I went on a ______ trip to the beach during her birthday.