©FOOD and LIFE COMPANIES
- prompt /prompt/
- representation /rep-ri-zen-TEY-shuhn/
- reckless /REK-lis/
- reportedly /ri-PAWR-tid-lee/
- view /vyoo /
[verb] – to make something happen
The protest prompted the government to reconsider the new policy.
[noun] – a sign, picture, model, etc. of something
In the art gallery, you can find a stunning representation of the city’s skyline.
[adjective] – doing something dangerous and not worrying about the risks and the possible results
His reckless driving through the busy city streets resulted in a serious accident.
[adverb] – according to what many people say
Reportedly, the movie star is set to appear at the film premiere tomorrow night.
[verb] – to have a particular opinion or way of thinking about someone or something
Many people in the community view the new park as a positive addition to the neighborhood.
The motivation for this shift in service style stems from a disturbing trend referred to as “sushi terrorism.” Over the course of this year, pranksters, inspired by viral online videos, have engaged in reckless acts, such as licking shared soy sauce bottles and tampering with food on the traditional conveyor belts at Sushiro restaurants. Law enforcement has already arrested at least five individuals in connection with these incidents. Notably, Akindo Sushiro is pursuing a 67 million yen ($480,000) lawsuit against a high school student for a video posted on social media in which he licked his finger and touched sushi passing on a conveyor belt. This incident reportedly cost the company approximately 16 billion yen ($115 million) due to a severe decline in customer turnout and a drop in the parent company’s stock value. The introduction of digital conveyor belts is viewed as an attempt to improve hygiene and modernize the dining experience post-Covid, with some customers applauding the potential for reducing food waste and enhancing cleanliness. However, others mourn the potential loss of the beloved traditional kaiten style, citing concerns about the convenience of the new system.
- Have you ever dined at a restaurant with a unique and innovative concept like the digital conveyor belts introduced by Sushiro? If yes, please share your experience and how it compares to traditional dining. If not, would you be excited to try such a dining experience, and why or why not?
- Can you recall any instances where unusual or reckless behavior by customers affected a restaurant’s reputation, as seen in the case of “sushi terrorism” at Sushiro? If yes, how did such incidents impact your perception of the restaurant or the industry in general? If not, how do you think incidents like these can influence a business and its customers’ trust?
- Do you think the introduction of digital conveyor belts is a positive step to enhance food hygiene in restaurants?
- In the article, some customers express concerns about the potential loss of the traditional kaiten style due to the adoption of digital conveyor belts. What do you think restaurants should consider when implementing technological changes to ensure they don’t alienate loyal customers while still addressing hygiene concerns?
- The “sushi terrorism” incidents mentioned in the article had significant financial consequences for Akindo Sushiro, resulting in a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against a high school student. What ethical considerations come into play when a company seeks such substantial compensation from an individual, especially a young one, for a seemingly impulsive act?