- Have you ever heard about ancient human footprints before?
- Do you think ancient human footprints are interesting to study?
- scientist /SAHY-uhn-tist /
- human /HYOO-muhn/
- result /ri-ZUHLT/
- period /PEER-ee-uhd /
- explore /ik-SPLAWR/
[noun] – an expert who studies or works in one of the sciences
The scientist conducted experiments in the laboratory to learn more about the properties of the new substance.
[adjective] – being, relating to, or belonging to a person or to people as opposed to animals
Human beings have the capacity for empathy and complex emotions, which sets them apart from most animals.
[noun] – something that happens or exists because of something else
The result of the hard work was a successful and profitable business.
[noun] – a length of time
She studied for a long period to prepare for the important exam.
[verb] – to search a place and discover things about it
They decided to explore the ancient ruins to learn more about the history of the civilization that once lived there.
True or False:
- Scientists found evidence of ancient human footprints at White Sands National Park.
- These footprints were first discovered in 2021.
- Special tests were used to determine the age of the footprints.
- The footprints are dated to a period between 21,000 and 23,000 years ago.
- The article mentions that these discoveries challenge the previous belief that people arrived in America later, due to ice blocking the way.
Fill in the blanks:
- The unexpected ________ of the experiment left the researchers puzzled and eager to investigate further.
- Marco Polo was one of the first Europeans to ________ the Silk Road, introducing new cultures and goods to Europe.
- A ________ conducts experiments in a laboratory to better understand chemical reactions.
- The study of ancient ________ civilizations helps us learn about the development of human societies.
- The Jurassic ________ is famous for its dinosaurs and lush, prehistoric landscapes.