- Have you heard about gender reveal parties before today?
- Do you know what a gender reveal party is?
- surprising /ser-PRAHY-zing/
- terribly /TER-uh-blee /
- confirm /kuhn-FURM/
- celebration /sel-uh-BREY-shuhn/
- firework /FAHYUHR-wurk /
[adjective] – unexpected
The birthday gift was so surprising! I didn’t expect it at all.
[adverb] – very badly
I felt terribly sick after eating too much candy at the fair.
[verb] – to make an arrangement or meeting certain, often by phone or writing
Please call your friend to confirm the time of your meeting tomorrow.
[noun] – a special social event, such as a party, when you celebrate something
We had a big celebration with cake and balloons to mark the end of the school year.
[noun] – a small container filled with explosive chemicals that produce bright colored patterns or loud noises when they explode
On the Fourth of July, we watch colorful fireworks in the night sky.
True or False:
- The gender reveal party in Mexico involved a small plane that released pink smoke to show the baby’s gender.
- The couple at the gender reveal party was excited to find out the baby’s gender.
- According to the article, the incident in Mexico was a simple and happy celebration.
- The article suggests that some parents are now opting for simpler and safer ways to reveal a baby’s gender.
- No one was injured among the spectators during the incident in Navolato, Mexico.
Fill in the blanks:
- I felt ________ ill after eating that spoiled food.
- The birthday ________ was filled with laughter, music, and delicious food.
- The ________ news about her promotion left her feeling incredibly happy.
- We watched a spectacular ________ display on New Year’s Eve.
- Please call and ________ whether they can make it to the party.