- Have you ever used a hair straightening product?
- Is hair straightening a popular treatment in your country?
- certain /SUR-tn/
- pressing /PREH-suhng/
- cancer /KAN-ser/
- inquiry /in-KWAHYUHR-ee/
- increase /in-KREES/
[determiner] – particular but not named or described
She needed to buy a certain type of tool for the job, but she couldn’t remember its name.
[adjective] – refers to products or substances used in the process of straightening hair
She applied a pressing agent to her hair before using the flat iron to achieve a sleek, straight look.
[noun] – a serious disease that is caused when cells in the body grow in a way that is uncontrolled and not normal, killing normal cells and often causing death
Early detection and treatment are crucial in increasing the chances of survival for individuals diagnosed with cancer.
[noun] – (the process of asking) a question
He conducted a thorough inquiry into the origins of the ancient artifact.
[verb] – to (make something) become larger in amount or size
The company plans to increase its production capacity by investing in new machinery.
True or False:
- The FDA has already implemented a ban on certain hair-straightening products.
- A study found that certain straighteners increased the risk of cancer in women.
- The use of hair straighteners is equally common among Black and White women.
- Some users, like Rhonda Terrell and Jennifer Mitchell, sued companies for using straighteners that caused their cancer.
- L’Oreal has admitted that its products pose a health risk.
Fill in the blanks:
- Recent advances in medical research have led to promising therapies for combating various types of __________.
- He approached the teacher after class with an __________ about the upcoming exam.
- He asked me to bring a __________ book from the shelf, but he didn’t specify which one.
- Regular exercise can help __________ your overall fitness and improve your health.
- The new __________ formula proved to be more effective in achieving a smooth finish compared to previous products.