- initiate /ih-NISH-ee-eyt/
- cultivate /KUHL-tuh-veyt/
- drought /drout/
- grasp /grahsp/
- persistence /per-SIS-tuhns/
[verb] – to cause something to begin
The CEO decided to initiate a new marketing campaign to boost sales.
[verb] – to prepare land and grow crops on it, or to grow a particular crop
He took a course on how to cultivate herbs for medicinal purposes.
[noun] – a long period when there is little or no rain
The severe drought in the region led to water shortages and crop failures.
[verb ] – to understand something, especially something difficult
Despite the complex nature of the topic, she managed to grasp the key concepts of quantum mechanics.
[noun] – the fact that someone or something persists
Her persistence in pursuing her dreams despite numerous setbacks is truly admirable.
Howard Schultz, leader of Starbucks, has serious concerns about the approaching impact of climate change on the coffee industry. The increasing heat and more severe droughts pose a significant challenge, and higher costs are a worrying factor. Schultz, a devoted coffee enthusiast, fully grasps the persistence of this problem. This worry led Starbucks to make a smart investment in a large farm in Costa Rica back in 2013. This research center is a leading force in studying how climate change affects coffee growth. Schultz believes that a united global effort is necessary to improve this urgent issue, emphasizing the importance of strong international agreements like the Paris Agreement. At the same time, Starbucks actively partners with coffee growers, sharing crucial knowledge and providing extensive support, strengthening their ability to navigate the changing conditions and ensuring the ongoing tradition of enjoying coffee in the morning, regardless of climate challenges.
- Have you ever visited a coffee farm or plantation? If yes, what was your experience like, and did it give you any insights into the challenges faced by coffee growers? If not, would you be interested in visiting one in the future to learn more about coffee production?
- Have you or someone you know been directly impacted by the effects of climate change on agriculture or any other industry? If yes, how did it influence your perspective on the importance of climate resilience and adaptation efforts? If not, do you believe that climate change will have a significant impact on industries in the future?
- Do you believe initiatives like Starbucks’ efforts to develop climate-resilient coffee varieties set an important precedent for other companies to address climate-related challenges in their respective industries?
- Why is it important for companies like Starbucks to invest in research and develop new coffee varieties that can withstand changing weather conditions? How does this benefit both the company and the coffee farmers?
- How do you think individuals and communities can contribute to climate resilience, especially in industries affected by climate change like coffee production?
- weather shift