- influx /IN-fluhks/
- official /uh-FISH-uhl/
- prompt /prompt/
- supplement /SUHP-luh-ment /
[noun] – the fact of a large number of people or things arriving at the same time
The opening of the new shopping mall led to an influx of shoppers from the surrounding areas, creating a bustling atmosphere.
[noun] – a person who has a position of responsibility in an organization
The company’s CEO welcomed the government officials to the event.
[verb] – to make someone decide to say or do something
The teacher’s encouragement prompted the students to participate actively in the class discussion.
[verb] – something that is added to something else in order to improve it or complete it; something extra
The athlete’s regular training routine was supplemented with specialized exercises to enhance their strength and endurance.
[noun] – A premium is also a great amount of importance
The company places a premium on employee well-being, offering comprehensive healthcare and wellness programs.
The drone program, initially launched in 2017, has taken on renewed importance following a series of shark-related incidents along New York’s beaches this summer. While the risk of shark attacks remains low, recent events have prompted a more proactive approach. At Jones Beach, a fleet of 19 drones is operated by lifeguards, supplemented by officers utilizing a mobile command center. These drones are equipped with advanced cameras capable of capturing underwater imagery from an elevation of roughly 25 feet. Beyond identifying potential threats, this technology can assist in search and rescue efforts. Despite the costs associated with running the program, authorities view the drone initiative as a critical tool for ensuring the safety of beachgoers. It’s essential to emphasize that drone operations adhere to strict guidelines, placing a premium on public safety and privacy considerations.
- Have you ever encountered any marine life or experienced unusual marine behavior while swimming or spending time at the beach? If so, how did you and others around you react, and did it impact your perception of beach safety? If not, what measures do you think would make you feel safer while enjoying the ocean?
- Have you ever visited a beach with lifeguards or safety measures in place? If so, how did those measures, like the use of drones for safety monitoring at Jones Beach, impact your perception of safety and enjoyment? If not, how do you think such measures would affect your beach experience?
- Do you believe that the use of drones for safety monitoring at beaches strikes an appropriate balance between ensuring public safety and respecting privacy?
- What are some alternative methods, aside from using drones, that we can employ to ensure our safety while at the beach?
- With drones being used more for safety at beaches, what are some other ways drones could be used to keep people safe and respond to emergencies in different places?
- strict guideline
- ecological change