- Have you ever visited a forest or woodland area?
- Are you familiar with any initiatives or efforts aimed at preserving or restoring forests in your region or globally?
- expert /EK-spurt/
- challenge /CHAL-inj/
- disease /dih-ZEEZ/
- predict /pri-DIKT/
- effort /EF-ert/
[noun] – a person with a high level of knowledge or skill relating to a particular subject or activity
The forensic expert meticulously examined the evidence to determine the cause of the fire.
[noun] – (the situation of being faced with) something that needs great mental or physical effort in order to be done successfully and therefore tests a person’s ability
Learning a new language can be a rewarding challenge that opens up new opportunities for personal and professional growth.
[noun] – (an) illness of people, animals, plants, etc., caused by infection or a failure of health rather than by an accident
Vaccination campaigns have been instrumental in preventing the spread of infectious diseases like polio and measles.
[verb] – to say that an event or action will happen in the future, especially as a result of knowledge or experience
The weather forecasters predict heavy rainfall in the region tomorrow.
[noun] – physical or mental activity needed to achieve something
With great effort and determination, she completed the marathon.
True or False:
- The study about the future of British woodlands was published in the Journal of Medicine.
- Woodlands face threats from diseases, harsh weather, and wildfires.
- The winter storm in 2021 did not cause any damage to woodlands.
- Ash dieback disease poses a major risk to woodlands.
- The study suggests that no action is needed to protect vital ecosystems.
Fill in the blanks:
- Overcoming adversity and achieving success is a testament to one’s ability to rise above any __________ that comes their way.
- Economists __________ that the stock market will experience a slight dip in the coming months.
- As a gardening __________, Susan was often sought after for her advice on cultivating various types of plants.
- The team put in a tremendous amount of __________ to meet the project deadline.
- Researchers are working tirelessly to find a cure for the rare genetic __________ that affects a small population of individuals.