©World Surf League
- feat /feet/
- renowned /ri-NOUND/
- venture /VEN-cher/
- acknowledge /ak-NOL-ij/
- triumph /TRAHY-uhmf/
[noun] – something difficult needing a lot of skill, strength, courage, etc. to achieve it
Scaling Mount Everest without supplemental oxygen is considered a remarkable feat of endurance and mountaineering skill.
[adjective] – famous for something
The renowned artist’s paintings were displayed in galleries around the world.
[verb] – to risk going somewhere or doing something that might be dangerous or unpleasant, or to risk saying something that might be criticized
Despite the potential risks, he decided to venture into uncharted territory.
[verb] – to accept, admit, or recognize something, or the truth or existence of something
She acknowledged her mistake and apologized sincerely.
[noun] – a very great success, achievement, or victory (when you win a war, fight, or competition), or a feeling of great satisfaction or pleasure caused by this
Their victory in the championship was a triumph for the entire team.
Enever, an 11-year-old surfer, was officially recognized by Guinness World Records in Narrabeen, Sydney, where she began her journey at 11. After winning junior competitions, she competed in the World Surf League (WSL) Championship Tour for seven years. Enever, a renowned surfer, swam into an unparalleled wave, describing it as the most significant she has ever ridden. The experience was captured on video, proving crucial for record verification. WSL’s chief of sport, Jessi Miley-Dyer, praised her fearlessness and commitment. Additionally, seven-time world surfing champion Layne Beachley commended Enever’s accomplishment, emphasizing the extraordinary nature of paddling into such a colossal wave. Enever’s impressive journey in surfing began with seven seasons on the World Surf League championship tour. Enever, a renowned big wave surfer, was set to compete in the Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational. However, she and a friend decided to venture to the more challenging Outer Reef, where the deep ocean meets the shallower sea floor, showcasing her skills in the thrilling sport. The significance of Enever’s achievement goes beyond the record itself. She acknowledges the trailblazing female big-wave surfers who paved the way for her, particularly Andrea Moller, whose record she now holds. Enever’s triumph serves as an inspiration for the next generation of female surfers, encouraging them to push the boundaries of this exhilarating sport even further.
- Have you ever tried big-wave surfing or any other extreme water sports? If yes, could you share your experiences and what challenges or thrills you encountered? If not, what aspects of such sports do you find intriguing or intimidating, and would you consider trying them in the future?
- Have you ever been inspired or influenced by the achievements of someone in an extreme sport, similar to how Laura Enever’s accomplishment may inspire others in the world of big-wave surfing? If yes, who was the person, and how did their story impact you? If not, can you think of any achievements or stories that might motivate you to explore new activities or pursuits?
- Do you think Laura Enever’s record-breaking feat of paddling into the largest wave by a woman represents a significant milestone for the sport of big-wave surfing?
- How might Laura Enever’s accomplishment in paddling into the largest wave ever by a woman contribute to changing the narrative and public perception of big-wave surfing, and what impact could this have on the sport’s popularity and recognition?
- In light of Laura Enever’s accomplishment, what do you believe individuals in the country and government should do to better support athletes in extreme sports, fostering an environment that recognizes and encourages their achievements? How can society contribute to creating more opportunities and recognition for athletes participating in less mainstream sports?
- colossal wave
- Guinness World Records