- What do you already know or associate with Mount Fuji, both in terms of its physical characteristics and its cultural significance?
- What role does Mount Fuji play in Japanese culture or history?
- strain /streyn/
- descend /dih-SEND/
- emerge /ih-MURJ/
- significant /sig-NIF-i-kuhnt/
- measure /MEZH-er/
[noun] – a force or influence that stretches, pulls, or puts pressure on something, sometimes causing damage
The bridge showed signs of strain after the heavy storm, prompting engineers to assess its structural integrity.
[verb] – to go or come down
The hikers carefully descended the steep mountain trail, taking their time to avoid any slips or falls.
[verb] – to appear by coming out of something or out from behind something
From the dense forest, a deer suddenly emerged, crossing the path in front of us.
[adjective] – important or noticeable
The discovery of a cure for the disease marked a significant breakthrough in medical research.
[noun] – a way of achieving something, or a method for dealing with a situation
Implementing strict quality control measures ensured that the products met the highest standards before reaching customers.
In response, authorities are considering stringent measures, including the potential implementation of a tram system and regulating access to the mountain. While many aspire to climb Mount Fuji, the current levels of overcrowding may require regulated entry to preserve the mountain’s sanctity and natural grandeur. This crisis calls for a concerted effort to promote sustainable tourism practices and safeguard this cultural treasure for generations to come.
- What is the current crisis facing Mount Fuji?
- Despite being designated a UNESCO World Heritage site, why has the situation regarding overcrowding and environmental impact on Mount Fuji worsened?
- How much of a surge in visitors did the largest base station, “Subaru,” experience this summer compared to 2013?
- What is “bullet climbing,” and why has it become a significant challenge for Mount Fuji?
- What are some of the measures that authorities are considering to address the overcrowding issue on Mount Fuji?
- Have you been to a popular natural site or monument with a lot of tourists? If so, how did the crowds affect your experience and your perception of the site’s beauty and importance? If not, can you imagine how crowds might impact your experience and perception of the site?
- How do you feel about the idea of implementing measures like a tram system or regulating access to popular natural sites? Can you envision potential benefits and drawbacks to these proposals?
- Do you think that the surge in tourism and overcrowding at Mount Fuji is primarily due to the rise of “bullet climbing” and the desire for a sunrise view?
- Think about the bigger problem of sustainable tourism. What are some things that officials and communities can do to handle tourism so it doesn’t harm the environment but still lets people enjoy cultural and natural landmarks?
- How can we use technology and online platforms to teach and tell tourists how to act respectfully and responsibly when they visit busy natural sites like Mount Fuji? What can social media do to support sustainable tourism?