©Thomas Cristofoletti / Ruom for Unearthed
- Do you like purchasing international brands?
- Do you prioritize specific factors or qualities before making a purchase decision?
- waste /weyst/
- fuel /FYOO-uhl/
- issue /ISH-oo/
- strict /strikt/
- environment /en-VAHY-ruhn-muhnt/
[noun] – unwanted matter or material of any type, especially what is left after useful substances or parts have been removed
The recycling center sorted various types of waste, separating plastics, paper, and glass for processing.
[noun] – a material used to produce heat or energy, typically used to power machines or processes
Wood pellets are commonly used as a fuel source for heating in many households during winter.
[noun] – a subject or problem that people are thinking and talking about
Climate change is a pressing issue that requires immediate global attention and action.
[adjective] – strongly limiting someone’s freedom to behave as they wish, or likely to severely punish someone if they do not obey
The school has strict rules about uniform attire, requiring students to adhere to specific dress codes.
[noun] – the air, water, and land in or on which people, animals, and plants live
It’s important to protect the environment by reducing pollution and conserving natural resources.
True or False:
- LICADHO found significant issues in brick factories in Cambodia related to the burning of waste from well-known brands like Adidas and Walmart for fuel.
- Workers in these brick factories experienced health problems such as headaches, respiratory issues, and complications during pregnancies due to the burning of waste.
- LICADHO conducted inspections at 21 factories in Phnom Penh and nearby areas between April and September and engaged with workers to understand the situation.
- Primark and Lidl denied any involvement or interest in addressing the waste disposal issue in brick factories.
- Brands such as Adidas, WRAP, the Cambodian Ministry of Environment, and Sarom Trading Co. Ltd. have openly addressed and resolved the concerns raised by LICADHO’s report.
Fill in the blanks:
- Planting trees helps improve the __________ by enhancing air quality and providing habitats for wildlife.
- The company enforces __________ security measures to protect sensitive information from unauthorized access.
- Composting organic __________ helps reduce the amount of food waste sent to landfills.
- The lack of affordable housing in urban areas has become a critical __________ for many city residents.
- The airplane relies on jet __________ to power its engines and facilitate flight across long distances.