- esports /EE-spohrts/
- allocate /AL-uh-keyt/
- demonstration sport /dem-uhn-strey-shuhn spohrt/
- launch /lawnch/
- jibe with /jahyb with/
[noun] a form of competition using video games between professional players and teams
My friend is very fond of playing video games; thus, he wants to experience watching esports live.
[verb] to give a particular amount of money that can be used in a particular way or event
Several companies allocate some of the budgets to their social responsibility projects.
[noun] is a sport which is played to promote most commonly during the Olympic Games or at any sporting events
The organizer said that our national game will be played as a demonstration sport tonight.
[noun] an event to celebrate or introduce something new
The launch of her album last year rocketed her career today.
[phrasal verb] something that is similar and matches with another thing
She got embarrassed because of her flowery dress that jibed with the table sheets at the party.
Esports, also known as electronic sports, is already popular in North America, Europe, and China. It has a global market of an estimated $906 million based on the research of Newzoo. Esports was also included as a demonstration sport in the last Asian Games held in Jakarta and Palembang. After the launch of Japan Esports Union (JeSU) on February 1, 2018, esports games started gaining popularity in the country. Moreover, another esports tournament is also on its way in October 2019 that will feature “Pro Evolution Soccer 2019” to jibe with the national sports celebration.
True or False:
- An esports event will happen in Japan for three days.
- The purpose of the event is to promote the agricultural industries of the country.
- 50 million yen is the budget allocation for the event.
- Esports is not popular in China.
- Gov. Yuriko Koike said that esports will not be a good opportunity for some companies.
- What is your favorite sport? Why?
- Are you familiar with esports games? Why or why not?
- Why do you think esports industry is booming nowadays?
- Do you consider esports as a real sport? Why or why not?
- In your opinion, do you think esports games should be part of the Olympics? Why or why not?
Express Your Opinion:
- Esports is more than just a game.
- “Esports will rival the biggest traditional sports leagues in terms of future opportunities.” – Steve Bornstein
- “Technology is useful servant but a dangerous master.” – Christian Lou Lange