Photo by © Getty Images via
- masterpiece /MAS-ter-pees/
- jury /JOOR-ee/
- comprehensive /kom-pri-HEN-siv/
- evolve /ih-VOLV/
- accolade /AK-uh-leyd/
[noun] something made or done with great skill
Her work is a masterpiece of simplicity.
[noun] a group of people chosen to decide the winner of a competition
The jury has come to an agreement that the third contestant is the true victor.
[adjective] complete and including everything that is necessary
The professor posted a comprehensive list of sources approved for our use.
[verb] to develop gradually
Each school must evolve its own way of teaching students.
[noun] praise and approval
Lady Gaga receives a Grammy award, one of the highest accolades in the music industry.
The Palau Sant Jordi sports facility in Barcelona, Spain, is among Isozaki’s most popular masterpieces. It was one of the main venues of the 1992 Summer Olympic Games. A Pritzker Prize jury stated that Isozaki’s comprehensive knowledge about architectural history and theory is reflected in his buildings. The statement also added that his works go beyond stylistic categorizations and continue to evolve. The Pritzker Prize has traditionally been considered a Western accolade. Isozaki is the seventh Asian architect who won the award in the last 10 years.
True or False:
- Arata Isozaki has finished at least 1,000 buildings in various countries.
- The Palau Sant Jordi is a sports facility located in Italy.
- Isozaki has extensive knowledge about the history and theory of architecture.
- His craft earned him the highest honor of architecture.
- In the last 10 years, Isozaki became the seventh Asian architect who received the award.
- Do you think being an architect is a tough profession? Why or why not?
- What is your opinion on your country’s architecture?
- In your opinion, how does architecture affect people’s lifestyle?
- What do you think buildings and establishments in the future will be like?
- What is your dream house? Please describe it.
Express Your Opinion:
- “You should set goals beyond your reach so you always have something to live for.” – Ted Turner
- “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe
- “Product is an output of efforts, skills and time” – Sunday Adelaja