- accumulate /uh-KYOO-myuh-leyt/
- regression /ri-GRESH-uhn/
- corroborate /kuh-ROB-uh-reyt/
- robust /roh-BUHST/
- pivotal /PIV-uh-tl/
[verb] to gradually increase in number or amount
The police announced to the public that the number of crimes accumulated over the past five years.
[noun] a situation in which things get worse rather than better
The country’s economic status has been in a regression since he was elected as the president.
[verb] to add information in support of an idea, opinion, or statement
I asked my colleague to corroborate the theory I presented to our professors.
[adjective] strong and unlikely to break or fail
Most first world countries have robust economy and have relatively low poverty rates.
[adjective] central and important
Her idea was pivotal to the project they are working on.
The same study of 3,000 adults aged 55 and older in Singapore found that living alone was a contributor to the worst psychological well-being. Jessy Warner-Cohen, Ph.D., MPH, a health psychologist at Long Island Jewish Medical Center said that the most robust finding of the study was the effect of social support on those living alone. Adults who live alone need more active development of social support. Social support could be found from joining clubs or athletic organizations, walking dogs with others in the neighborhood, or cooking together. A report added that visiting friends and family more frequently plays a pivotal role to show social support.
True or False:
- Anxiety and joy are common mental disorders.
- The researchers studied the data of 20,000 adults from the United States.
- During the study period, the number of adults who lived alone increased from 8.8 percent to 10 percent.
- Alcohol and drug use are the top reasons why adults develop CMD.
- Jessy Warner-Cohen, Ph.D., MPH is a health psychiatrist at Long Island Jewish Medical Center.
- What is your opinion on the increasing number of mental health disorders?
- Why do you think mental health disorders are more prevalent among adults?
- Aside from social support, how can adults fight loneliness? Elaborate your answer.
- In your opinion, why do some adults prefer to live alone?
- What are the advantages of having a positive mental health? Explain your answer.
Express Your Opinion:
- “It’s up to you today to start making healthy choices. Not choices that are healthy for your body, but healthy for your mind.” – Steve Marabo
- “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others.” – Gordon B. Hinckley
- “It is possible and very common to overcome and manage a mental illness.” – Madchen Amick