- molecular /muh-LEK-yuh-ler/
- assert /uh-SERT/
- mechanism /MEK-uh-niz-uhm/
- trigger /TRIG-er/
- lethal /LEE-thuh l/
[adjective] of or relating to or caused by molecules
She came from a family of molecular biologists.
[verb] to say something that is certainly true
The state witness asserted that his testimony has enough evidence.
[noun] a way of doing something that is planned or part of a system
Repressing her feelings is her best defense mechanism.
[verb] to cause something to start
Eating too much chicken triggers my skin allergy.
[adjective] able to cause or causing death
Lethal injection is against the beliefs and standards of the church.
They used specific types of cyclodextrins, a family of drugs that eliminates cholesterol, to congest the venom. Researchers asserted that the venom becomes most harmful once it reacts to cholesterol. They also concluded that cyclodextrins can function as antidotes if applied immediately in just 15 minutes after vulnerability to the sting. According to the university, the antidote was first tested on human cells out of the body and then on mice.
According to the US National Ocean Service, the Australian box jellyfish is considered the most threatening sea creature in the world. It has 60 tentacles that can grow up to almost 10 feet. Each tentacle has millions of microscopic mechanism that has venom and can kill more than 60 victims. The venom can trigger severe pain, necrosis, cardiac arrest and could lead to death in just minutes if left exposed. If it is not lethal, the venom can cause extreme pain. Associate Professor Greg Neely, one of the researchers from the University of Sydney, said, “It turns out by blocking the venom’s ability to kill the cells, we can also block some of the pain.” They also plan to develop a cure that would be directly infused into humans.
True or False:
- The Australian box jellyfish is the most dangerous aquatic animal in the world.
- Cyclodextrins is used to absorb bad cholesterol in the body.
- The researchers plan to discover a cure that would be injected into marine animals.
- The box jellyfish has 600 tentacles that grow up to 10 feet.
- The venom can cause severe pain if it is not deadly.
- How would you know if you get stung by a jellyfish? Explain your answer.
- What should be done first when you get stung by a jellyfish? Elaborate your answer.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using animals in medical research?
- What are the other venomous animals do you know? Give examples.
- How does the venom produced by the animals become useful to them? Explain your answer.
Express Your Opinion:
- “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” ― Benjamin Franklin
- “Poison is not merciful towards people who have consumed it unknowingly.” ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
- “The question is not how to get cured, but how to live.” ― Joseph Conrad