- Do you sleep early? Why or why not?
- How many hours do you sleep in a day and why?
- stimulate /STIM-yuh-leyt/
- questionnaire /kwes-chuh-NAIR/
- acquire /uh-KWAHYUHR/
- illness /IL-nis/
- beneficial /ben-uh-FISH-uhl/
[verb] to cause part of the body to operate
His brother is taking vitamins that stimulate height growth.
[noun] a set of written questions used to collect information from a number of people
The students were asked to answer the questionnaire in an hour.
[verb] to obtain or begin to have something
Due to her weak immune system, she can easily acquire infections.
[noun] a disease of the body or mind
Colds and cough are common illnesses when it is winter or rainy season.
[adjective] having a good effect
Eating healthy foods and exercising regularly are beneficial to our health.
According to Tianyi Huang, the study author, “Many previous studies have shown the link between insufficient sleep and a higher risk of obesity, diabetes, and other metabolic disorders.” The survey resulted to a conclusion that the participants with the highest inconsistency in their sleep schedule and duration have a higher chance of developing metabolic illnesses ahead of time. Metabolic risks factors include large waistlines, high cholesterol, and blood fats. Even though it was not yet defined, the authors believed that inconsistent sleep pattern and sleep duration might really affect metabolic risks. Susan Redline, the study co-author, also added, “Our results suggest that maintaining a regular sleep schedule has beneficial metabolic effects.”
- What does NHLBI stand for?
- In the article, what are the risk factors that affect metabolic health?
- What did Susan Redline believe after the study?
- Give examples of metabolic disorders that was mentioned in the article.
- What is the use of an actigraph wristband?
- In your opinion, what are the good effects of having a regular sleep schedule?
- What kind of lifestyle should people have to improve metabolic health aside from having a consistent sleep pattern? Explain your answer.
- Do you have a consistent sleep schedule? Please tell me more about it.
- In your opinion, how many hours should people sleep in a day and why?
- What do most people in Japan do in order to prevent chronic illnesses?