- What do you usually bring when you go shopping and why?
- What are the common single-use plastics in Japan?
- implement /im-pluh-muhnt/
- ban /ban/
- afforestation /uh-FAWR-ist-tey-shuhn/
- awareness /uh-WAIR-nis/
- microplastic /MAHY-kroh-PLAS-tik/
[verb] to put a plan into action
The company has implemented a new policy that would contribute to its employees’ benefits.
[verb] to forbid someone to do something or forbid an action
The new law bans foreign fishermen to enter another country’s territory.
[noun] the action of planting trees on an area of land in order to make a forest
The students join the afforestation held by their school admin.
[noun] knowledge that something exists, or understanding of a situation or subject
He joined a campaign about public awareness on a certain issue.
[noun] extremely small pieces of plastic that are harmful to the environment, used in cosmetics
Microplastics are the number 1 cause of marine pollution.
The ministry also considers expanding the targeted retailers to small and medium-sized business operators. Biodegradable plastic bags are not included in the ban. A report added that Japan produces the largest amount of plastic waste per capita following the United States. It is estimated that there are over 8 million tons of plastic waste that flow into the oceans every year. This causes microplastics pollution which is harmful to marine life.
- What does Japan plan to do according to the article?
- Yoshiaki Harada is the minister of what department?
- How much would be the charge for every plastic bag?
- What kind of plastic bag is not included in the charge?
- How many tons of plastic waste flow into the oceans every year?
- What is your opinion on Japan’s plan to ban free plastic bags?
- Do you think not using plastic bags would help save the environment? Why or why not?
- Aside from plastic bags, what other things contribute to marine pollution?
- In your own opinion, what is the best alternative to plastic bags?
- Do you think human activities are the cause of climate change? Explain your answer.